Thursday, September 29, 2011

Miss Florida goes to Washington

Hello All!

Time has certainly flown by!  September has been the busiest month of my reign thus far.  The month was filled with changes in weather, changes in atmosphere, and changes in perspectives.

The first week of the month, my family and I flew to Hoopeston, Illinois to watch Miss Florida's Sweetheart, Kalen Dennis, compete for the title of National Sweetheart.  I had the opportunity to compete in the same pageant in 2009.  I had a great time reconnecting with Miss Missouri, Miss Indiana, and Miss Illinois.  Kalen won preliminary talent and placed top 10 at the competition and I couldn't be more proud of her accomplishments!  

The day we arrived in Hoopeston the weather was not too far off from Florida's at 98 degrees but the night we left the temperature dropped to 40!  Us Floridians (my family and I), were not prepared for it!  Somehow, we managed to make it to the airport without freezing.


Two days after my return from Hoopeston, I traveled to Miami to participate in the Aveda Beach Clean-Up.  Unfortunately, a torrential downpour put a damper (pun intended) on the event.  We were not able to get out onto the beach but I was able to meet a lot of influential people from various organizations that are all working towards the same goal: protection of our environment.
 The very next day I drove home to spend time with my family and celebrate my sister's sixteenth birthday. It was wonderful to spend time with my family and catch up.  Of course, they were all interested in my travels and Miss America preparations.  It was so much fun to share my stories with them!  The following Tuesday, September 13th, I flew to Miami.  Before the sun rose the next morning, Mary and I flew to Washington D.C. with Everglades Foundation members: Kirk, Jerry, and Jessica.  My mission for Washington D.C. was to lobby for funding for Everglades restoration.

Washington D.C. was an experience unlike any other.  Upon our arrival, we checked into our hotel and then set out for a quick lunch before setting out for Capitol Hill.  Allison Krieger Walsh, Miss Florida 2006, and her mother, Deborah Kreiger soon joined us to partake in my Washington D.C. adventure.

Capitol Hill was unbelievable!  I had the opportunity to meet with 5 Congressmen my first day and 8 my second day.  I also met with Senators Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio. My schedule was pretty tight as it was as follows:

Day 1:

1:30 PM : Mario Diaz-Balart
2:00 PM : Steve Southerland II
2:30 PM : Ted Deutch
3:00 : Bill Nelson
3:30 PM : Corrine Brown
4:00 PM : Tom Rooney

Day 2:
10:15 : Daniel Webster
10:45 : Alcee L. Hastings
11: 45 Rich Nugent
12:30 : Marco Rubio
1:00 : Kathy Castor
1:30 : CW Bill Young
2:00 : David Rivera
2:30 : Debbie Wasserman Schultz
3:00 : John L. Mica

Each meeting was different from the other.  All of the congressmen and senators were very receptive as I spoke about the needs of funding for Everglades restoration.  I shared with them that 1/3 of Florida's population gets their drinking water from the Everglades.  That is 7 million Floridans.  Everglades Restoration has a 4 to 1 return on investment, creating over 400,000 jobs in real estate, tourism, and fishing.  Many of them were already knowledgeable about the Everglades and its importance to Florida's economy but with the current debt crisis, it is always important to remind others about the needs that may be in the back of their minds.














After my first day of meetings I hosted a reception at the Florida House which is the first and only state embassy in Washington D.C.  Invitations had been sent out weeks in advance.    
I gave a speech to all the attendees and it will be in the Congressional Records!
Here it is in it's entirety:

It is a great honor and pleasure to speak to you today in this beautiful Florida House, the first and only state embassy in Washington DC.  I would like to thank Bart and Julianne for extending the Sunshine State hospitality to all of us.  
In January I will be competing for the job of Miss America 2012.  Last July in St. Petersburg, I became the 76th Miss Florida to represent our state.  I worked for five years to achieve my goal and I love every minute of this job.  In 1989 the Miss America Organization founded the platform concept, which requires each contestant to choose an issue about which she cares deeply and that is of relevance to our county.  If chosen as Miss America I will embark on a year-long national speaking tour, and will have the opportunity to increase awareness and promote my chosen platform, America’s Wake-up Call: Protect Our Environment.  
Decades of tinkering with the natural plumbing of the Everglades ecosystem has been a disaster. Only now are we beginning to understand just how much damage we have done and the ultimate cost – a severe and potentially permanent reduction in our supply of fresh, drinking water.
This year, Florida has suffered one of the worst droughts in our state’s recorded history.  It is our third drought in just 10 years.  Water shortages are affecting homeowners, businesses, tourism, and agriculture.  Our water supply is imperiled by rapid growth, ruinous agricultural practices, and an unwillingness to spend the money necessary to protect and enhance our water supply.
Water is a basic, necessary substance for life. It is part of everything we drink and eat.  We cannot find an alternative to water. 
That is one of the reasons that as Miss Florida 2011 I have chosen to promote the need to develop water friendly policies, and oppose any effort to diminish our fragile Everglades ecosystem. Having grown up at the ecosystem’s headwaters in Kissimmee, the Everglades are part of my life just as it is for one-in-three Floridians who depend on it every day for the fresh water.
Of course, the Everglades is about more than drinking water. It is home to one of the world’s most unique natural ecosystems. The Everglades is a lynchpin to Florida’s economy, creating thousands of jobs in a wide variety of businesses.  
What is clear is that our source of water is in danger.  Our population cannot continue to grow until we are certain that we can provide Floridians and visitors with adequate, safe, clean water.  Our ability to continue to do that is being sorely tested.
Each time I turn on the faucet, I wonder: how much longer will the water last? What will happen when there is no longer enough to sustain Florida’s growing population? How safe will our water be as we search for ever decreasing supplies? Will the day come when the cost of water frightens us more than the cost of a gallon of gas?
I would like to thank you all for your past support and your continued leadership on the issues that are vital to protecting America’s Everglades and Florida’s water supply. Over the course of the next year, I will be focused on visiting schools throughout Florida to talk to students about the importance of clean water, water conservation and Everglades restoration. I would love to come to your district to discuss these issues. If you are aware of any upcoming opportunities, please let me know! 
I leave you tonight with a quote from Michael Grunwald’s book titled The Swamp, which I feel summarizes the importance of Everglades restoration: 

“The Everglades is a test. If we pass we may get to keep the planet.” 

The first half of September has truly brought me to different places and has exposed me to so many different ways of life, from the quiet, small town ways of Hoopeston Illinois, to the hustle and bustle of our nation's capital.  I cannot wait to share the rest of September's adventures with you!


All my best,
Kristina

Green Tip:  Clean your dryer lint screen, and don't overload the dryer.  You'll save up to 5 percent on your electricity bill.  If everyone did it, we'd save the energy equivalent of 350 million gallons of gasoline per year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment